Sean holds a diploma in Relational Psychotherapy from The Toronto Institute for Relational Psychotherapy . His background in psychotherapy makes him a creative, active and effective therapist with a skilled capacity for empathy and understanding.
Also holding an Addiction Certificate and Addiction Care Worker Diploma from McMaster University, Sean has significant training and experience in addiction counselling as well as working with adolescents, young adults and adults in recovery.
A Registered Psychotherapist (#001657) with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (www.crpo.ca)
Guest member of the Toronto Psychoanalytic Society.
RECENT TRAINING HIGHLIGHTS
- William Alanson White Institute: INTENSIVE PSYCHOANALYTIC PSYCHOTHERAPY PROGRAM, January, 2019 to August 2019
- William Alanson White Institute: Cultivating Connections: Therapy with Difficult to Reach Teens with Audrey Zwick, L.C.S.W, November 26, December 3 and 10, online seminar.
- Toronto Institute for Contemporary Psychoanalysis: An Exploration of the Work of D.W. Winnicott with Peter Dales, March 22, 2018 to April 19, 2018
- The Sándor Ferenczi Center & The New School for Social Research, New York City: Dramatic Dialogue: Contemporary Clinical Practice with Lewis Aron, Ph.D. & Galit Atals, Ph.D., , February 24, 2018
- Toronto Institute for Contemporary Psychoanalysis: Working with the Third in Mind with Dr. Jessica Benjamin, January 27, 2018
- Toronto Institute for Contemporary Psychoanalysis: Love & Hate in Contemporary Clinical Practice with Lewis Aron, Ph.D. & Galit Atals, Ph.D., November 25, 2017
- Toronto Institute for Contemporary Psychoanalysis: Transcending Trauma through the Arts with Dr. Sophia Richman, Ph.D. & Spyros D. Orfanos, Ph.D., October 14, 2017
- The 519: Creating Authentic Spaces Workshop: A Gender Identity and Gender Expression Toolkit to Support the Implementation of Institutional and Social Change, March 18, 2017
- Toronto Psychoanalytic Society: Working Analytically with Couples, January-February, 2017
- Toronto Institute for Contemporary Psychoanalysis: Ghosts & Demons in the Consulting Room with Dr. Adrienne Harris, January 28, 2017
- Toronto Psychoanalytic Society: Freud and Beyond,” with Dr. Donald Carveth, September to October, 2016
- Toronto Institute for Contemporary Psychoanalysis: Sandor Ferenczi’s work with Elizabeth Severn: The Gateway to Relational Psychoanalysis with Dr. Kit Fortune, October 1st, 2016
- Toronto Psychoanalytic Society: Fundamental of Psychoanalysis Program, September to April, 2015
- University of Guelph: Theories and Methods of Family Therapy: Foundation of the Field, Spring, 2015
- Toronto Institute for Contemporary Psychoanalysis:Dream Workshop: Dr. Joshua Levy with Dr. Joshua Levy, April 18, 2015
- Toronto Institute for Contemporary Psychoanalysis: From Normal Multiplicity to Traumatic Dissociation: Integration, Fragmentation, and Implication for Empathic Attunement with Jody Messler Davies, Ph.D., January 31, 2015
- Affiliated Psychoanalytic Workgroups 12th Annual conference: On Desire, October 17-19, 2014, Toronto
- Scientific Workshop, Toronto Psychoanalytic Society and Institute: Therapeutic Approach: Technique as Attitude Actualized by Dr. Warren Poland (September 20, 2014)
- Scientific Workshop, Toronto Psychoanalytic Society and Institute: Some Thoughts on How Analysts Evaluate and Understand Change in the Clinical Situation, presented by Steve Rosenbloom (September 10, 2014)
- Training Seminar in Lancanian Psychoanalysis: Objectives of the Analysis and Clinical Aspects of Psychoanalytic Concepts,” at Groupe interdisciplinaire freudien de recherche et d’intervention clinique et culturelle (GIFRIC) (June 2 to 6, 2014)
- Scientific Workshop, Toronto Psychoanalytic Society & Institute: Reflection on Traumatic Processes, with Marion M. Oliner, PhD (April 12, 2014)
- Scientific Workshop, Toronto Psychoanalytic Society & Institute: When the Past Never Happens: The Zero Process and the Defense of Temporal Shifting, with Dr. Joseph Fernando and Dr. Kohl (Mar. 8, 2014)
- Toronto Psychoanalytical Society Extension Program seminar: Through the Eye of A Needle: Impasses in Treatment with Dr. Michel Silberfeld (Oct 10, 2013)
- 39th ATPPP Scientific Session: Traumatic Attachments: Intergenerational Trauma, Dissociation, and the Psychotherapeutic Relationship, with Doris Brothers, PhD (Sept. 28, 2013)
- Psychoanalytic Ideas and Approaches When Dealing with Trauma, Seminar with Dr. Jacinta O’Hanlan, Dr. Cristine Dunbar, and Dr. Clare Pain (May, 2013)
- Psychoanalytic Understanding of Work Groups, Organizational Dynamics, and Leadership, Seminar with Howard Book, M.D. and Barbara Williams (April, 2013)
- Reading Lacan, Seminar with Judith Hamilton, M.D. (Feb, 2013)
- Lacan Unpacked, Seminar with Judith Hamilton, M.D. (Dec., 2012)
- Me, Not-Me, Mine, Not-Mine: When Adoption Is a Factor, Seminar with Michael Blugerman (Dec., 2012)
- Mindfulness, Compassion and Modern Psychology in Trauma Therapy, Lecture by John Briere, PhD, (May 31 and June 1, 2012)
- Understanding Relationship Dynamics through the Lens of Attachment Theory, Workshop with Elizabeth Tuters, Sally Doulis and Susan Yabsley, (May, 2012)
PRESENTATIONS, WORKSHOPS & TEACHING
- Effective Parenting Group, 2010 to present
- Topics in Contemporary Lacanian Studies, October-November, 2014, Toronto Psychoanalytic Institute. Presented teaching module on “The Subject of Addiction”
- “Relational Psychotherapy and the Innate Wisdom of the Client Centered Approach in Working with Addiction”, a workshop given at the Annual Institute on Addiction Studies, London, ON, July, 2015
- Presentation: “Introduction to Seminar 23: James Joyce, Lacan and the Sinthome”, Lacan Toronto, November-December, 2015
- Presentation: “Seminar 23: Joyce, the Sinthome and Clinical Practice”, Lacan Toronto, March-April, 2016.
- Intern Teaching Faculty at the Toronto Institute for Relational Psychotherapy, Toronto, 2015-2017
- Paper presentation: “Becoming an Ally in Times of Dread: Convergences and Divergences of Anti-Oppression Practice and Relational Work”, International Association of Relational Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy (IARPP), June 14, 2018, New York, NY
- Paper presentation: “Relational Tunes and Turns in Alternative Rock Music: The Geeky, the Imagination and Self-Integration”, International Association of Relational Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy (IARPP), June 20-23, 2019, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- 3 hour workshop: “Making Connections and Going Deeper: A Clinician’s Guide to Working Deeply with Addiction, Loss and Grieving”, 60th Annual Institute on Addiction Studies, July 14-18, 2019, Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre, London, Ontario.